Sunday, March 10, 2013

Planting for Spring

With the week of good weather that we had, I was so ready to start our Spring planting!
Planted the dahlias bulbs out...I hope these do well because I LOVE dahlias and they look so fantastic in a simple vase or arrangement - doesn't this look gorgeous?

Transplanted the peonies!  I've been meaning to so this for years!  The peonies have, until now, been located in a terrible spot, on an incline and they are always wonky looking but they are a lovely fuschia colour and they go so well with the bright orange of the poppies that we also have growing in the garden.  I hope that they will now look like this...


And then they will look like this!



Broke my back digging up on the beds which is meant to look like this...


It's meant to be a wildflower plot and I think if we refrain from weeding (I suppose that it will look like a bunch of weeds for a while ) it will look resplendent by July and August.

I've also planted out the Lily of the Valley because the bulbs were starting to grow in their packaging.  Aren't these lovely?



But the weather has gotten cold again and I've put the cloches on the Lily of the Valley and I've had to refrain from spreading our wildflower seeds and propagating the other seeds which I am so desperate to get out!  But I've got the seed packages and have been dreaming about the 'harvest'.

We're definitely planting courgettes (zucchini) - these are so easy and they are so tasty when you grow them in the garden.

We've got lots of herbs planned - basil, thyme oregano, sage, coriander and may be some dill (thinking about some delicious dill with smoked salmon).  We're trying these one in pots this year because Willie, our gardener, always ends up yanking these out!

No comments: